Credits to:

http://www.deviantart.com

Saturday, October 11, 2008

Pressing on towards the goal

Philippians 3:12-14

Not that I have already obtained all this, or have already been made perfect, but I press on to take hold of that for which Christ Jesus took hold of me. Brothers, I do not consider myself yet to have taken hold of it. But one thing I do: Forgetting what is behind and straining toward what is ahead, I press on toward the goal to win the prize for which God has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus.

Philippians 3:12-14


Paul here explains that he does ONE THING, but he shows up three fingers and says:
1. forgetting what is behind
2. straining toward what is ahead
3. pressing on toward the goal to win the prize

Paul was not playing dumb. He meant to focus on the 1st part.
It's easy enough for me to live out the 2nd and 3rd part.... But what's hardest sometimes is to forget the past.

Forgetting my past achievements
Forgetting my past mistakes
Forgetting my past pains

It must've been hard for Paul to preach about the One he just presecuted. Throughout his preaching days, he must've been continually reminded by Satan about how he used to persecute the one he now preaches about. Imagine how hard it would've been for him.

And now, I.

Forgetting here does not mean I lose the memory of what happened, it means that past memories loses all power to grip me and hold me back from achieving what the Father has in store for me.

Satan always uses your past against you. What do you do? You remind him of his future. And you tell him that God is your father, that you are the child of the owner of the universe. Are you afraid to face issues in life because you're reminded of your past? Know this:

We did not recieve the spirit that makes us a slave again to fear, but we have recieved the spirit of sonship and by Him we cry "Abba, Father".


Stare your fear in the eye, say: "My father has given me authority over you. Get out of my way."



My prayer: Thank You for Your grace, Father.
Help me to forget the past. Help me to forgive myself, because You've already forgiven me by Jesus' blood. I receive again the courage that comes as a result of being Your child. If You are for me, then who can be against me? I love you Jesus.

No comments: